My research focuses on studying the processes influencing transport of meltwater over the surface of Greenland ice sheet. It involves field work (participated in three field expeditions in Greenland) and, analyzing in-situ, remote sensing (both satellite and UAV imagery) and model data. I am also an FAA certified drone pilot.
I come from a multidisciplinary background of civil and environmental engineering, atmospheric and oceanic sciences, and geography. My first field work experience was to study river Beas, one of the five major rivers from Northern Himalayas. Then I moved to modeling studies using global climate models to study hydrological cycle and climate extremes as a part of my master’s thesis. Using both field work and modeling experience in hydrology, I joined Rutgers to improve the models to simulate meltwater transport on the surface of the ice sheet accurately, which in turn helps with estimating Greenland’s contribution to sea-level rise through surface runoff.
You can find more information in an article (with a video) about my research here.
- M.Tech, Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences, Indian Institute of Science (Bangalore, India)
- B.Tech, Civil Engineering, National Institute of Technology (Hamirpur, India)
- Muthyala, R., Bala, G. and Nalam, A., 2018. Regional scale analysis of climate extremes in an SRM geoengineering simulation, Part 2: temperature extremes. Current Science, 114(5), pp. 1036-1045.
- Muthyala, R., Bala, G. and Nalam, A., 2018. Regional scale analysis of climate extremes in an SRM geoengineering simulation, Part 1: precipitation extremes. Current Science, 114(5), pp. 1024–1035.
- Mattingly, K.S., Ramseyer, C.A., Rosen, J.J., Mote, T.L. and Muthyala, R., 2016. Increasing water vapor transport to the Greenland Ice Sheet revealed using self-organizing maps. Geophysical Research Letters, 43(17), pp. 9250–9258.
- Teaching Assistant for Earth Systems course, Department of Geography, Rutgers University (Fall 2015, Spring 2016, Spring 2018)
- Teaching Assistant for Remote Sensing course, Department of Geography, Rutgers University (Fall 2017)
- Guest Lecturer for Earth Systems course, Department of Geography, Rutgers University (Fall 2015, Fall 2016, Spring 2018)
- Guest Lecturer on "Climate Change in the Arctic," outreach program at Chatham High School, New Jersey (Jan. 2018)
- Recipient of Excellence Fellowship, Department of Geography, Rutgers University (2016–2017, 2018–2019)
- First Prize in the AAG Middle States Student Poster Competition, New Jersey (Oct. 2018)
- Recipient of Teaching Assistant/Graduate Assistant Professional Development Fund Award (2017, 2018)
- Recipient of Teaching Assistantship, Department of Geography, Rutgers University (2015–2016, 2017–2018)
- Recipient of EOAS Travel Award, Rutgers University (Fall 2017, Fall 2018)
- Winner of Cryosphere Innovation Award at AGU, New Orleans (Dec. 2017)
- Recipient of Rutgers Climate Institute Student Support Award (2017)
- Recipient of AGU Fall Meeting Berkner Travel Fellowship, California (Dec. 2014)
- Recipient of IISc Studentship, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India (2012–2014)
- Recipient of Merit Cum Means Fellowship, NITH, India (2008–2012)
- Secretary of Graduate Geographers Project, Rutgers University (2016–2017)
- Co-Organizer of Adirondacks Field Expedition, Rutgers University Arctic Hydroclimatology Research Group (Feb. 2017)
- Coordinator of Civil Engineering Department Team, Annual Technical Festival, NITH, India (2010–2011)